Tuesday 28 September 2010

Unit 1.1: National Media Museum Review


National Media Museum Review

I must admit, this wasn’t the first time I had visited the National Media museum. About two years ago, I went on a school trip to the museum with the Turton media club. I could not remember much about the outing, only that it was an exciting and wholly worthwhile experience, which ventured into quite a few aspects of film, television and media. I also felt that the first time I went, I did not fully explore all the areas of the museum and only spent time on some of the higher upper floors instead of spending equal time on them all.

I must say that, for anyone, even people who may not be that interested in the media, this museum is a spectacular day out. It’s immense exhibits demonstrated on each floor are fascinating, my favourites being “the Kodak Gallery”, “Experience TV and TV Heaven” and the “Animation Gallery”.

Although a lot of the museum is hands-on experience, just as much is about looking and learning about things as well. For example, while most of the brilliant TV Heaven section encourages you to take part in various activities, eg. being the key reader in a news broadcast and super imposing yourself against a blue screen to create your image on different backgrounds, the equally compelling “Don McCullin: In England” gallery is more a visual experience which includes black and white photographs and an interesting video about both the photographs and Don McCullin himself.

Although I did not see the IMAX movie showing Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince this time, I did see a rather stunning Egyptian documentary on screen the first time I came and remember it quite clearly as an awesome experience.

I did, however attend a guided “insight” tour, around the three million items the museum holds behind closed doors, including the world’s most important photographic collection and the largest collection of TV technology and cinematography in the country. I saw different sized cameras and other objects from past years in various rooms such as the “Large Object” and the “Small Object” rooms. Some very early sixties televisions, and a few of the earliest games and game consoles/computers
plus an excellent tour guide curator, all helped to make the tour even better.

Café food was good, with a quite wide selection and buffet type of routine. There was also a picnic section for people who had brought their own lunches.

Overall, a brilliant and entirely worthwhile experience suitable for anyone no matter how interested in the subject:

9/10

Patrick Johnson 9S1

No comments:

Post a Comment