Tuesday 28 September 2010

Unit 1.1: Lowry Gallery Review











Lowry Gallery Review

When I entered the Lowry gallery, I expected there to be tons and tons of information, paintings and other interesting things to do concerning the artist. Instead, the gallery contained about a handful of what I had expected, and was quite a great deal smaller than what I imagined it to be…

Don’t get me wrong, the gallery was very interesting and informative about the artist. The dancing section didn’t do much for me either, but I can appreciate how it could seem interesting to certain people. There were seemingly fun and enjoyable activities to do with balance etc, and films, which showed you what dancers, needed to do to dance properly.

Speaking of films, there was a twenty-minute film on in a separate section to the gallery about Lowry himself. It was very interesting, with quotes from narrators and Lowry himself and studied various aspects of his work, eg that following his mother’s death, he became quite depressed and painted pictures to keep his mind off mourning for her.

I found some of his pictures quite disturbing, especially the “cripples” painting, which depicted characters with disabilities such as a man with a hook for a hand, and another man without legs wheeling around in some sort of bizarre trolley. I did like most of his paintings though, as the designs seemed simple, yet effective.

An upstairs section proved short, but relatively interesting with some different artistic ideas. Downstairs from that, there were wonderful viewing points of the canal with chairs to sit down on. I wasn’t very keen on the modern art in that section, though.

Overall enjoyable and interesting, but short (about an hour and a half to look round it all) and a bit disappointing in size.

Overall:

6.5/10

By Patrick Johnson 9S1

No comments:

Post a Comment